Thread: Speculation: Trade Proposals Thread
View Single Post
04-06-2013, 04:27 PM
eco's bones
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mess with the D too much and it's a little early anyway. Scoring was a problem--how much of a problem after getting Clowe, Brassard still remains to be seen. I suppose it's to be assumed by many that losing Gaborik is more of a hit than those two combined but to me the offense you need is one more goal than the other team on most nights. Last year's team didn't score a lot either--they just won a lot. You have a great goaltender, a solid defense and forwards who will backcheck and are willing to sacrifice you can do very well.

To me the Rangers need to maintain the d and they need to if anything add more sandpaper and I'm thinking as well that the offense then might take care of itself. We have several prospects that might help with that anyway. The most concerning thing with Kreider is he gets off to slow starts. Right now he's starting to get really comfortable putting up points in the AHL. It's a matter of time before both he and Miller are putting up at least respectable production at the NHL level. Fasth, Thomas, Lindberg and Hrivik are four others that seem at least at this point in time to be NHL bound.

I would not trade any of what I consider core players for outside the top 8 or so picks in any given draft unless we had other issues like a cap situation. It just doesn't make sense unless you're at least partially rebuilding. We have a lot of players in place--we have others developing that can be added in and they are essential anyway just for cap management. We don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money on free agency.

For now I'm fine with 4 lines that you can trust and roll with one elite (Nash) game breaker and a solid defense anchored by Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto. Hard nosed players like Clowe (if we can keep him) and Dorsett should help. I would like to add another--a player under 30 and a d-man who could run a pwp. Teams that hit and fight a lot are not fun to play against. They tend to pick up points in the standings if only through attrition. We do need a better pwp--what we always seem to be missing since Leetch was moved is a point man who can run the thing.