View Single Post
Old
08-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Squeaky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!
The entire roster is young enough to still be playing excellent hockey in 2009. Kovalev is the oldest player on the team, and he'll only be 36 then. He, and other guys like Koivu and Rivet might not still be top line threats at that point, but most cup winning teams have veterans sprinkled throughout their lineup the year they win the cup. For example, Carolina had Brind'Amour, Whitney, Wesley and Hedican.

I firmly believe that to win the cup you need a good mix of youth and vets. Carolina had the vets I mentioned, but also guys like Staal, Ladd and Ward, who all combined to take them to the promised land. If the habs are shooting for a cup by '09, it's really too late to be drafting players to help them, unless we somehow get a top-3 or so pick, or fluke ourselves a Bergeron. Most players take at least four years after being drafted to be productive in the NHL, so the next draft would really only be helpful for 2010 and later. The habs already have the prospects who might make an impact before 09 in the system. We're finishing up the rebuilding now, the next few years will show us if it will yeild results.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote