View Single Post
Old
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
World Championships is meaningless. As a Rangers fan, I would rather my guys resting after a long season as the first step getting ready for the following season. Pretty sure most fans think along those lines, as well. I couldn't tell you how the US did at last year's Worlds, who played, or when the last time they won/medal'd.
Yeah the US has always seen the tournament as a developmental thing, testing all kinds of young players. I remember when Taylor Chorney played in 2008 or 2009.

But, the US is not the whole world as some seem to think in all kinds of contexts. The WC has a long, long history in Europe where the very best long competed for the title, and i believe the tourney was even famous in Canada although everybody there knew it was their best amateurs they sent, or even best amateur team. Since NHL-players were eligible i believe the tourney has risen in peoples minds there and i believe many canadians today has about the same view on it that i have: Not the end of the world, but enjoyable NHL calibre hockey to resort to not the least when your team is out of the playoffs.

The US are extremes in their view on the tourney, not the other way around.