View Single Post
Old
04-07-2013, 09:31 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Yeah the US has always seen the tournament as a developmental thing, testing all kinds of young players. I remember when Taylor Chorney played in 2008 or 2009.

But, the US is not the whole world as some seem to think in all kinds of contexts. The WC has a long, long history in Europe where the very best long competed for the title, and i believe the tourney was even famous in Canada although everybody there knew it was their best amateurs they sent, or even best amateur team. Since NHL-players were eligible i believe the tourney has risen in peoples minds there and i believe many canadians today has about the same view on it that i have: Not the end of the world, but enjoyable NHL calibre hockey to resort to not the least when your team is out of the playoffs.

The US are extremes in their view on the tourney, not the other way around.
Never said the US is the whole world. Said the tournament is meaningless in the US. When I look up, this IS a thread about the US Olympic team and my point is past participation in a meaningless tournament shouldn't come into consideration on player selection. Should be the best 13 US forwards, best 7 US dmen and best 3 US goalies. I would hate to see a player left home because they want to reward an inferior player who played in the World Championships. When you are running a tournament when the best league in the world is still playing and that league is not shutting down so all the best players are available, then I can't take the tournament seriously.