: Prospect Info:
View Single Post
04-07-2013, 12:54 PM
HoF Turd Shiner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Originally Posted by
Finally got around to watching Hackett's first game against San Jose. I didn't write anything down, but a couple of things stood out to me:
Link to a boxscore of the game.
- Played December 6, 2011.
- Minnesota won 2-1.
- San Jose outshot them 42-21.
- Josh Harding actually started this game, but got hurt 71 seconds in. Hackett came in and made 34/34 saves.
- It was Hackett's first ever NHL appearance.
- He was incredibly poised. I know as a goalie growing up that it was difficult enough as a kid coming into a game that you didn't think you were playing in, let alone your first NHL game, on the road.
- Basically didn't look flustered the entire game. Really didn't make it look difficult.
- Lots of kick saves. Does an alright job of kicking pucks out of harms way.
- The fact he didn't get beat is obviously a positive.
- Came into the game down 1-0 and his team won 2-1. I'd say San Jose dominated most of the play, and in the final minute they were pressing pretty hard but he made at least 3-4 saves in the last minute.
- Lateral quickness looked nice.
- Glove hand. Heard this a lot about him, and it seemed as-advertised. Made a really nice glove save with just over a minute left.
- Rebound control. It wasn't hurting the team or anything, but it could be improved. Would've preferred to see him absorb more shots.
- San Jose had a lot of shots, but he wasn't really challenged that often. Felt like most of his saves came off of pretty clear shots. That's not really a negative for him, he still needs to make those stops, but his 34 saves look a lot nicer on paper.
- There were a couple of chances where the puck slid around the crease/net area that would've been goals if someone was there. I'm kinda nitpicking there, cause it's pretty hard to list a bunch of negatives when a guy doesn't let in a goalie and doesn't really get tested that much...
If you have GameCenter or any other way of watching archived games, it's definitely worth a watch to get a better idea on how he plays. If I can find the time I'll try and take a look at some of his other NHL starts, and this time I'll write some stuff down as I watch. Will try and get to Larsson's first (and only) NHL game as well.
View Public Profile
Mit Yarrum's albums
Find More Posts by Mit Yarrum