View Single Post
Old
04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Never said the US is the whole world. Said the tournament is meaningless in the US. When I look up, this IS a thread about the US Olympic team and my point is past participation in a meaningless tournament shouldn't come into consideration on player selection. Should be the best 13 US forwards, best 7 US dmen and best 3 US goalies. I would hate to see a player left home because they want to reward an inferior player who played in the World Championships. When you are running a tournament when the best league in the world is still playing and that league is not shutting down so all the best players are available, then I can't take the tournament seriously.
I agree with you except for the bolded. I'm ok with them leaving off one of the best players if it's what is in the best interest of USA Hockey, that being a better structured team. If USA Hockey feels that we have a better shot with leaving someone off for the purpose of say, a solid defensive bottom six line, then it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. They had this debate quite a bit about Hockey Canada deciding to pick and choose who they want last time around and ultimately it was for the better.