*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)
View Single Post
04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Join Date: May 2011
I will be writing a recap for all of the Sting picks in the coming days but here's my quick thoughts:
Sarnia had a FANTASTIC draft. Seriously, they addressed a lot of needs and made some GREAT value picks
- 1st Rd, 9th - He will fill a huge gap for next year's team. Pure shooter who has shown a willingness to mix it up physically at times (just not too consistent in that area). They had the choice between Brett McKenzie and Korostelev but I wasn't surprised they went with the Russian. Both have huge potential though
- 2nd Rd, 33rd - I mentioned above the players Sarnia might be targeting and I had a strong feeling he was the player they REALLY wanted. I was taking notes nearby the Sting staff at the Alliance ASG and it was clear they LOVED Bushnell. Gritty player who is tough as nails. As a bonus he can score too. IMO, he adds an element Sarnia was missing (especially in the playoffs) as he is a tenacious forechecker. Very hard to play against. Sarnia needs these types IMO.
(D) -3rd Rd, 41st -big defenseman that most agencies had ranked as a late 1st/early 2nd. Good skater with an excellent first pass. He has some filling out to do but his potential is high.
Justin Fazio (G)
- 4th Rd, 69th - Ecstatic Sarnia grabbed Fazio. The scouting agencies I spoke to directly didn't have him rated as high as I would've (but that's probably from not viewing him enough in the Alliance). He looks as OHL ready as any G I've come across this season. He actually reminds me a lot of JP Anderson. Excellent at making that first save. Definitely has game-breaking ability. Great pick IMO!
Nick Boka (D)
- 6th Rd, 103rd - Committed to the NTDP program and MSU but he could be a steal in the 6th if he reports in a few years. Big physical defenseman with a great shot. Extremely difficult to play against. Incredible pro upside. Good spot to take a risk here. Ranked inside the 1st round.
Andrew Peski (D)
- 6th Rd, 106th - Defenseman who was ranked inside the top 35 but two agencies I was in contact with. He went in the 6th round. Great value. Defensive defenseman with a good stick and wheels to skate the puck out of trouble. Excellent positioning. Just a smart defenseman with a good work ethic.
Alex Black (D)
- 6th Rd, 115th - The third defenseman selected in the 6th round. Tough as nails. He actually fought (new) teammate Noah Bushnell in a game this season (beauty fight). Likely a 5/6 type of defensive defenseman. Good skater already.
Martin Frechette (F)
- 7th Rd, 129th - I really liked Frechette in my viewings. Owns a dynamic quality to his game. Good skater with solid lateral agility. Distributes the puck very well.
Alex Boudreau (D)
- 8th Rd, 149th - Not the best skater but he's very good defensively. Work in progress but projects as a defensive defenseman.
Brody Stevens (F)
- 9th Rd, 169th. Watched him once this year and I think he impressed me but to be honest, I was focusing mostly on Sean Day. Played for Compuware.
Brendan Trottier (F)
- 11th Rd, 209th - Local Lambton Sting. The only member of the team that had a chance of being selected. Very smart player and projects as a defensive specialist type of player.
Luke Kunin (F)
- 12th, 229th - Committed to the NTDP but he's a late bday so he could arrive after he's done there. Decent offensive skills. Ranked 50th and 125th by two agencies I talked to. Selected 229th overall so that's good value if he every comes.
Ryan Hunt (F)
- 14th Rd, 269th - Didn't really stand out too much to me in my viewings of the Marlboros but he was buried by depth. He's smaller and shows good hockey sense so it's something the team and he can work on.
JP Sabourin (G)
- 15th Rd, 289th - Very surprised Sarnia was able to land their second goaltender here. He made some remarkable saves in the OHL Cup for Eastern Ontario Wild. He's small (5'9) but Sarnia got great value here. He's extremely poised in the net and was a huge factor in Eastern Ontario's success this year.
I guess that was lengthier than I intended haha. Promising draft ladies and gentlemen.
BTW, Beaulieu stated in a post-draft interview that he expects the top three picks to play next year
View Public Profile
dean youngblood82's albums
Find More Posts by dean youngblood82