View Single Post
Old
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Baby Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Only get compared because Richter is the all time winning goalie for NYR and he delivered us a cup. Richter was amazing in 94, without him playing as well as he did, we never make it past the Devils, let alone win the cup. Richter was a true money goalie..the bigger the game, the better he played. Multiple Rangers from 94 (Messier, Leetch, Graves as well as Keenan) have said if they could pick any goalie to have in net for a game 7 with the cup on the line they all would pick Richter.

That's why people compare. Richter has his number retired, won us our 94 cup and is beloved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
To me, Richter is number 1. He not only had 1994, but without him in 1997, there's no way the Rangers get to the conference final against the Flyers. Vanbiesbrouck had 1986, but after that, kind of meh...never got past second round as the starting goalie for the Rangers. He'd be in the top 10 of NYR goalies (that's not saying much), but outside of Richter, Giacomin, and Lundqvist, no one had a prolonged stretch of excellence.

Even though Lundquist is going to shatter Richter's all time wins record I still have Richter number one because of his playoff preformances & Stanley cup ring.

One thing that Richter & Giacomin have in common to a certain extent is that they both played on really bad teams for most of their NYR career. Lundquist for the most part has had very good teams in front of him.

Also Richter & Giacomin did not have the benefit of not playing to a tie. Richter had 73 ties in his career.Divide them by 2 & assume 50% of those ties are wins & the other are loses Richter has 338 wins & 294 loses.

Eddie had 96 ties, same scanerio split them down the middle he would have 337 wins & 254 losses & Eddie played in 56 less games. Wow, as I write this you could make a solid argument for Giacomin being NYR's all time greatest goalie, but he doesn't have the cup & in my mind that will always make Richter number 1.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote