Thread: Value of: Nick Leddy as a RFA...
View Single Post
Old
04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Don't be so sure on that. Many feel Hammer has been the Hawks best defensemen this year. Beyond that, even if Leddy's ceiling is higher (it is), he may be more replaceable from within the Hawks system than Hammer is.
There's no one in Chicago's system that can replace Leddy. I know people like to think Clendening could, but he's not close to as good a skater as Leddy. Leddy's one of the best skaters in the league. Period. On top of that, his confidence rushing the puck is getting better and better and obviously, he's a great transition Dman and a good PP option.

Clendening will be a better PP guy than Leddy. Of that, I'm almost positive. But the impact at 5-on-5 won't be close, IMO, because Leddy's skating routinely gets him out of trouble. That's not to say Clendening's a bad skater, but Leddy's high-end.

As for Hammer.. while I'm in no way advocating trading him or want him to be traded, he's far more replaceable than Leddy. Chicago has numerous defensive D in their system in Johns, Olsen, Stanton, Dahlbeck and Paliotta.. and arguably 3-4 of them aren't far from the NHL. Not to mention, it's easier to find Dmen like Hammer through FA than it is to find Dmen like Leddy.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote