View Single Post
Old
04-08-2013, 12:11 AM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
When you think of the Avalanche what player do you think of? Sakic, right? He signed an offer sheet many years ago as well. He signed a great deal for him. He would've gone to play for the Rangers if I'm not mistaken. Colorado matched. Did anyone ever question his commitment to Colorado? I'm sure there were some doubters but at the end of the day, he is Mr. Avalanche.

We as a fan base take things personally. What Weber did was business, it wasn't personal. He had an opportunity to sign a once in a lifetime deal. He knew when he signed it he was going to play in one of two places, Philly or Nashville. Why sign a deal like that if you have a chance of playing in a place you either don't like or want to be in? There's tons of speculation on whether or not he's committed to being here. That's all that it is, speculation amongst fans. We are emotionally involved. Take the emotions out and look at the facts. He signed an offer sheet that he knew we could match, we did, he's here long term. Until he comes out and says, I want out, I'm not going to stress about him wanting to be here.

If he really wanted out, why did he sign a 3 year contract a few years back that left him as a RFA? He could've done the same thing Suter did and sign a deal that would've left him an UFA and be gone once his contract was up.

The guy comes to play every night for us. Would I like more emotion, sure but is that him, not so sure. Piss him off and he turns into a beast. That's my only complaint about him. I wish he'd play with an edge more often. Other than that, I'm happy he's here and that every other team in the NHL knows he's here long term.
I would be absolutely thrilled if Weber's situation turns out the same as Sakic's. We all want the same thing here.

I have no clue whether Weber wants out or not and I understand all the points you made about him wanting to stay. But the points can be flipped around, too. For instance, you say he signed an offer sheet he knew we could match. I say, he signed an offer sheet. Nobody knows if Weber knew we could match it or not. If I had to guess I'd say that he actually thought we probably couldn't, and so did Philly. There's no motivation for Philly to drop an offer sheet otherwise. And really there's no motivation for Weber to sign one either; he could've used the offer sheet to pressure GMDP to pay up without actually signing it.

If I were Weber, and I wanted to stay in Nashville and was truly using the offer sheet only as a means to get the contract I wanted, then when I received the offer sheet from Philly I would've gone to Poile and said "Philly just dropped an offer sheet on me, these are the terms. I want to stay in Nashville, but I want to make my money too. This is what you're gonna need to pay me. If you don't agree, I'm signing the offer sheet". I wouldn't have actually signed it. Doing so says that you're okay with leaving and playing for another team. I want my captain to have zero desire to play anywhere but Nashville. I know that's maybe not realistic, but whatever, I'm a fan. That's how I feel.

I don't know why he signed the contract he did a few years back. I can't remember the specifics of that situation, or of Suter's when he signed his last contract with us. I'm sure if he could've convinced GMDP to sign him up until he was a UFA, he would've; what player in his right mind wouldn't?

I respect how you feel about Weber. I'm not one of those people who thinks he for sure wants out, but I'm definitely uneasy about the whole situation. Especially if it affects the locker room now and/or our ability to bring in UFA's. But I really, really hope he pulls a Sakic and becomes known as Mr. Predator.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote