View Single Post
Old
04-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Mac DeMarco

vCash: 500
When I read that Mantha's work ethic has issues I feel like it's overblown. I read an article on him where he described his off-ice habits and it sounded very genuine. If nothing else, he seems like a bright kid who could pick up the right habits if brought along properly. I'll try to find the article and post it when I do.

Here it is, it's very good read: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Quote:
"He's a very intelligent kid. It's great talking hockey with him," Durocher told NHL.com. "He's always asking the right questions in practice and even pointing things out that we might have missed sometimes."

That innate sense for the game has been passed down to Mantha along family lines. His grandfather is Andre Pronovost, a forward who played 556 games for four NHL teams between 1956 and 1967, winning the Stanley Cup in each of his first four full professional seasons with the powerhouse Montreal Canadiens of the late 1950s.

Mantha has been tutored in the game by his grandfather since a young age, and he said the message has been consistent from Day 1.

"He gives me a lot of advice, but it's mainly to remind me to work hard every game, every shift, and that's what will bring me success," Mantha told NHL.com. "It's not complicated. It applied when he played and it still applies today. As soon as you stop working, you stop going forward. So you have to keep working."
I personally think he could be one of those guys who falls through the cracks of the early first round because of his perceived faults, and in turn makes for a guy who you see years later and say "How the hell did this guy not go earlier?". He's got undeniable natural talent, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Last edited by Mac DeMarco: 04-08-2013 at 12:59 AM.