Thread: Player Discussion: Derick Brassard
View Single Post
Old
04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
One other thing that bothers me. I've seen people say that the mental facet of the game isn't Brassard's problem; his issue is confidence.

So what happens when he isn't playing confidently? He doesn't play well, and his poor play manifests itself not in a sudden evaporation of skill. His play declines by way of his decision making. Let's assume he is a "smart" player. If he isn't playing "smart" all of the time, then what good is his assumed intelligence? You have to play that way as much of the time as possible.

The best players in the league are the players who are able to blend skill and talent with smart efficient hockey the most often. Almost every night. Then there are the players who do it some of the time, and even do it well. Other times, they are either unwilling or incapable of executing this formula.

IMO, Brassard isn't going to get significantly better as a player than what he already is. This makes me weary of the Gaborik deal. Sather has this reputation for great trades, I think he should have gotten a first round pick instead of Brassard. Dorsett and Moore were good pickups, and it was smart to get them, but how does Sather not get a first round pick instead of this tweener for a guy who scored 40 goals 2 of the last 3 seasons, including last season?

If I'm wrong, that would be tremendous. This team sorely needs another top six-caliber center. Depth matters at no position as much as center these days, but seems to me like more of the evidence points to Brassard being the bigger reason he's an underachieving 25-year-old high draft pick.
I would find it highly unlikely that if Brassard came in and scored 45-50 points again, that he could not be moved for a 1st rounder + relativity easily. At this point, he is a gamble, as you have said, however, barring anything unforeseen ala a major injury, they can turn the asset around for a nice return if the team doesn't see that next step taken.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote