Old
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post
I'm sorry, but why do we want to start Mason every game for the rest of the season? We have one of the worst defenses in the league (partly due to injury), and the kids confidence is absolutely shot from four bad years in Columbus. So we want to play him every game with this defense in front of him in order to "see what he's got?" Brilliant..

Goaltending is a function of team defense. We have no team defense right now, which is why we're 17-18-3 and are 25th overall in goals against per game. You could put Bernard Marcel Parent himself back there right now and he's going to give you similar results to Bryz. Hell when Bernie was traded away the first time he was characterized as "lazy and disinterested."
No, we're 25th in goals against because Bryz sucks. The team is actually ranked something like 7th in shots against per game; since there seems to be a correlation between scoring chances and shots against, they're one of the better teams at preventing shots, even if they do get trapped in their own end.

Someone here did the math; if Bryz made one big save every 5 games, we would be ranked much higher in GA and could conceivably be hovering near 8th. Thats all it would take. One less goal every 5 games. But he hasn't even been able to do that.

The worst defense I've seen this year, by a long shot, is Edmonton. Dubnyk hasn't had any trouble blowing Bryz's stats out of the water. Neither has Miller, on a Buffalo team that's in bad shape. Markstrom on a decimated, bad Florida team isn't having trouble blowing Bryz's stats away either.

The problem with Bryz, largely, is Bryz. Not the defense. I don't think Mason will do much better, if at all. But at least he'll hopefully look like he's trying.