Thread: Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Carolina (April 9)
View Single Post
Old
04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
You just gotta love the Hockeys Future Gang.

Bennett has already been focused on defense and board play so far. Whatever offense he has provided has been a bonus. Sounds like a good 4th liner to me....
Young players tend to play up to or down to the level of the people on their line at times. Playing with scrubs like Adams or Kennedy will do nothing to help him develop good offensive habits or comfort level, and may actually encourage bad habits although I admit it's not like it's a guarantee. Just saying that sort of thing has happened before with good young players who get stuck on 4th lines.

The saving grace here is there's probably not enough time to develop any habits one way or the other. I think the 3rd line with Sutter was the absolute perfect spot for him but when we got both Morrow and Iggy that sort of went out the window. My main point is, we're not so loaded with scoring wingers that we can afford to dump Bennett on the 4th line and ask him to be a plug... specifically because HE IS defensively responsible / not a liability (on any line he plays for) and because he has an element of creativity to his game that our wingers (other than Iggy) don't have. Short of Sutter he's not going to find skill or creativity on the bottom 6.