Thread: News Article: Jaromir Jagr:Miracle on ice
View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 06:20 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
I wonder how much of the Eastern European/Communist upbringing shaped his mindset. Sure the man loves his paycheck, but signing with us in 2011 would've redeemed all that went awry 10 years ago, would've cemented his legend in Pittsburgh, had his number retired, etc. Yet leaving that all on the table didn't bother him one bit, didn't cause him to bat an eyelash, like a machine that doesn't respond to emotion. His icon in Pittsburgh meant absolutely nothing to him, and that's something that will always bother me the most about Jagr.
This... and he learned some bad habits/ bad attitude somewhere else along the line too. Wonder where or from who?

I really think that Jags came over to Pittsburgh just a wide eyed kid, changed as he grew more business savy and just never matured. Then again I remember him saying "... if they don't pay me, I go to LA and they give me the money... " during his 2nd year, hearing a story about Tocchet checking him hard in practice for being a jerk and not taking shifts for Ivan Hlinka. This was all before "dying alive".

There are stanger players to come along and I don't think he's a bad person but I would really love to know what happened at the end of his time in Pittsburgh. Did he hate the city? Feel like a man on a sinking ship?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote