View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 09:23 AM
ChesterNimitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I stumbled on this this night, Galchenyuk is, currently the youngest player in the entire league.

Laughton, Grigorenko and Matteau are all younger than him but are no longer with their NHL teams.

It's a stat we have to take into account, when we look at what he's been providing to the Habs this season. Makes it even more impressive.
I watched Galchenyuk play as a rookie in the OHL and was totally impressed with his speed and skill. It was obvious to anyone who had a modicum of knowledge of the game that he had the potential to be a special player. Since I never thought that Montreal would be in a position to draft this kid I just put it in the back of my mind and thought that some team would be getting a potentially great player. Then, the team's collapse and the knee injury. I had some trepidation about the team drafting what could be damaged goods. My only re-assurance was the example of Marian Hossa who, similar to Galchenyuk, had knee surgery his draft year. My concerns were not alleviated watching Galchenyuk at the world juniors where his play was, at best, pedestrian. Even though he made the team out of training camp, I still didn't see the explosive skating that I had admired when he was a 16/17 year old in the OHL. I fully understand that it some times takes upwards of a year for a player to fully recover (both physically and mentally) from major knee surgery. Over the past few games we are starting to see glimpses of what the future may hold for this player. Whether it's his growing confidence on the ice or the continuing recovery from his injury it is becoming apparent that Galchenyuk has the ability to be a major force in this league.

Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 04-09-2013 at 10:46 PM.