View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I disagree. Yandle is what he is at the point. He's a borderline #2 defenseman, a #3 on a good team.

Nurse has the potential to be a bonafide top pairing 2-way defenseman. We need to stop trading for products of other teams systems that don't fit anymore and plugging them into our lineup and expect to win cups. Teams who win cups build through the draft an have rosters that grow together. If we expect to ever have a #1 defenseman without gutting the franchise, we need to draft one. No ifs ands or buts.

And ristolainen is good, and probably has a higher floor, but nurse is better.

And I understand that the fail rate of defenseman is high, but the fail rate of defensemen take in the top 5-10 of the draft is actually not as high as people make it out to be. It's actually been quite accurate in recent years. Combine that with the fact that this draft is the deepest in a while, I'm not all that worried about nurse busting.
I'm all for drafting Nurse, for the reasons that you've mentioned. But trading a top 10 pick + Laughton to draft him? I just don't see the value.

I agree with your assessment of Yandle, but more likely than not, Nurse doesn't end up better than Yandle--and certainly not for the next 4-6 years. It is far from certain that Nurse can be developed into a top-pairing defenseman, and even less clear that the Flyers are capable of doing so.

It isn't simply a matter of Nurse "busting"--I could have been clearer there. I'm just not sure his ceiling is really a #1D, and if his ceiling is a good #2, Yandle is the better option, since he is already developed and capable of stepping in and playing a key role next season, rather than 4+ years down the road.

Obviously I'd prefer we not move the pick + Laughton (if Mez had been even halfway decent this year, I'd throw a Laughton + Mez + 2013 2nd offer and hope the Coyotes bite), but if we are, I think it needs to return a surer thing than a promising project.

Yandle-Coburn
Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Gus
Gervais

There's no #1 there, but that's a decent defensive corps.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-09-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo