View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Number 28 View Post
I just don't see why trade our offensive youth for a stud dman when we could draft someone and wait until next year where the UFA defensive group is stout.

I'm one of the few who would not mind two years of medocrity to get to the level that makes us consistently good. Keep our core and build around UFA and drafts.
The UFA crop always looks good two years out.

With the possible exception of Bouwmeester, Meszaros is likely to be one of the better free agents who is actually available come July 2014, setting aside aging short-term fixes.

I'm not thrilled with the notion of trading our young NHL youth for a defensive prospect at all, but if we end up in that 10-14 range with Nurse and Ristolainen off the board, I think you have to at least consider moving the pick--either to drop back in the 1st, or for a defensive prospect, or in a package for an established defenseman.

I'm also less confident in the Flyers' ability to evaluate defensive prospects. I'm thrilled with Couturier and wouldn't swap him for Hamilton, but by most accounts, the Flyers were prepared to take Siemens ahead of Dougie if Couturier hadn't slipped.