View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
It's possible. Adam Oates is obsessed with playing right-handed shots on the right side - he's the reason Kovalchuk moved to RW in NJ - and Kovy definitely struggled big time at first.
Oates knows a thing or two about passing and shooting, so there has to be a reason. My guess is that he wants to make these guys more well-rounded players by giving them more passes on the forehand. One of Kovie's problems throughout his career is that he's always played the off-wing and he's not very good on the backhand, so he's rarely in a good position to pass. He is an extremely forehand dominant player. Oates probably figures that Kovie is a good enough shooter that he can get away with shooting from the tighter angles of an on-hand wing, and will pass better from the RW, and may even develop a backhand shot out of necessity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but moving to RW has helped Kovie to pass and use his teammates more, right? I have a pretty high opinion of Oates as a young coach. I think he's a very smart man who has big things ahead of him behind the bench.