View Single Post
04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Gardner McKay
R.I.P. Parabola
vCash: 177
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Good starting point in the discussion over eligibility. I went to Hockey Reference and did a quick search.

There are 22 centers who have 5+ seasons of at least 40 games with the Rangers, dating back to 1927.
28 centers with 4+ seasons of at least 40 games with the Rangers.
41 centers with 3+ seasons of at least 40 games with the Rangers.

In 1926/27, the regular season was 44 games.

This method of filtering is systemically unfair to O6 centers though, since it's harder to play 40/44 than 40/70 or 40/82. Is it possible to quickly generate a list of centers who played 75% of at least 4 or 5 seasons with the Rangers? I can probably put together a list by hand but would take a few hours.
Do you think we should do two top 10 lists? One for a modern era of maybe 1970-present and one pre 1970? Not many of us are well versed in players from before 1970. I am only 24 but I have watched tons of my fathers old videos of games from the 70's and 80's. Prior to that I couldn't tell you a thing.

--But after the long calm, there are now beginnings of a stir. The reunion at hand may joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back. At last, the promise has been made. --
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote