View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheng Peng View Post
In an ideal uncapped world
Correct. There's a reason you don't see any teams with full second lines making first-line money. You might see a player or two, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I'm no expert on the CBA, but I think it will be quite a while before the kids see the large money. They won't even hit RFA status for another three seasons. And with the cap starting to rise again the year after next, I don't think the cap situation will be all that dire.
If the young players are looking promising, big deals now happen immediately after their entry level deal based on what they've proven to that point. Nowadays the players have a total position of power, and you just can't have a total of 20-25 million locked up in anything but your first-line. If Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, etc. are truly first-line guys, we'll never have more than a short window of them being on undervalued contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I don't think anyone is denying we overpaid for Pominville, you don't just acquire a player like JP without paying a premium...But we were in a position to do so because we had enough assets were we could afford to overpay. It's not like we mortgaged the entire future of the Wild on this one deal.
That's a dangerous mentality. Paying too much is paying too much no matter how many assets you have to spend. Successful teams over the long-run know how to get good value on their assets to keep their net worth high. Just imagine it like the cash in your billfold. If you spend too much on one item, it may not hurt right away if you have plenty of cash. But if that horde dwindles, and it always does at some point in the sports world, it costs you the ability to buy something else or manage your assets to the best of your ability. It's always important to buy and sell wisely.

Brian Burke was a master of this and turned Toronto around because of it. If you look up and down that roster, there's only about a handful of players drafted by Toronto. The majority of roster players were via trades with a free agent or two thrown in. That's managing your assets and winning by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I still think we gave up the wrong assets. While we have a lot of prospects, we don't have a lot of good center prospects.
Yep. Considering where this organization sits, I would have traded Coyle before Larsson. The Wild is painfully thin at center in both the NHL and now the prospect world. Bad idea to be short at center.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote