View Single Post
Old
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
The MLS can't compete financially with the top European leagues right now. Top players won't be coming to North America until their wages become competitive. I don't know or care enough about the economics of the MLS to know how far off we are from that, but I would imagine it's a long ways.
All there is too much EPLism stuff like this floating around. I don't think the MLS ever aspires to have the world foreign stars come play here. This league is heavily geared towards domestic player development, to compared MLS to Germany wouldn't be fair to the German teams but clearly the goal is to develop this league so one day all Canadian and American players want to play here.

There is no doubt if NA develops a international superstar he will follow the money (and hopefully by then there will be some here) but the MLS will look to make a league that retains the services of the Brek Shea's and Kei Kamara (even though he's only sort of American..). It's about raising wages slowly, not so we can buy good players from around the globe, but so we can have a structure so we can retain good players.