View Single Post
Old
04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Richer's Ghost
McCleod is here

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I've spent enough time (maybe too much) at the range the last couple of years. I go plenty, work out kinks of my swing, try adjusting things, etc. But I always get back to the point where I'm not doing myself any more favors by still going there, mostly because you can't replicate the hitting surface well enough. I hit every iron and wedge so clean at the range by now that you would think I've been playing at a high level my entire life. Sometimes it can translate to a course, sometimes not. I'm not always getting a perfect lie on a flat artificial surface like at the range, so if I get too used to that, I don't hit down enough on the ball, or I struggling with hitting and adjusting to the lie of the ball. I'm not saying the range doesn't have its purpose. It definitely does, but I'm at the point where it doesn't serve too much of a purpose anymore unless there's something I'm doing wrong and need to work out. My issue, today especially, we a lot of staying down and through my swing. Topping the ball and/or pulling up too much and just screwing up swings. But that's something that i just have to do and won't matter where I'm at trying to fix it.

By the same token though, it helped a ton this season alone in some areas. Last time I was at the range (2-3 weeks ago maybe) I got a bucket of 100 golf balls, but really didn't have the energy for more than about 60 of them. I wasn't going to waste them so I just decided to do easy chips with wedges to run through them since its quick and easy. The two rounds I've played this year have been saved purely by my chipping and those easy little shots inside 50 yards. Now its just an issue of touch and feel to get the distance a little more precise.

Getting a couple lessons is definitely something I need to do and have been meaning to for the last year or so. Especially thought I would during the winter but never did. We'll see how the near future goes. May still do that soon.
I've played with a lot of guys with the same issue and I even had it to a degree when I first played. They seem to want to pick the ball off the grass more than hit down into the ball and take a nice divot. Divots are the golf gods saying "nice swing" - even if it doesn't go where you want. I started getting consistent distances and being able to pick the right club when I started hitting down into the ground and letting the club do the work the way it's supposed to. Of course you're going to hit fat a couple of times until you get a consistent swing and stop swaying your hips too much or dropping that shoulder trying to torque out a monster hit, but that's all part of it.

2 lessons by a golf pro that is not a swing mechanice nazi will do you wonders. Like BordeursCups said, embrace your natural swing (as long as it's not crazy awkward) and the pro will teach you the keys to a smooth consistent motion to put that swing to work for you in very little time with a few tips to get you back on track when playing on your own. Well worth it. Another thing that totally changed my game was my grip strength. I had a death grip on mine thinking you can use your arms to power through the ball when it actually takes away club head speed. Arms like rubber, holding the club only tight enough to keep it from twisting or flying out of your hands was his suggestion. Power comes from the hips and they lead the shoulders.

Man now I really want to play. I smell a sick day Friday.