View Single Post
Old
04-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Phototropic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Those are some incredibly unrealistic expectations for all of the one off-season that this organization has possessed the financial resources to go after such players. And for what it was worth, Poile threw $ at Parise. Who else should we have bought? Jagr? Whitney? Were we planning on building a geriatric first line, assuming they even would have signed here? Would it have been worth a package of Colin Wilson, Ryan Ellis, and a bottom 6 forward for slightly more than a season of Marion Gaborik, assuming his glass body holds together even that long? How bout Austin Watson, Magnus Hellberg, our 1st and a 2nd (which we don't even have) for slightly more than one season of Jason Pominville?

It's easy to go out and throw crazy $ at guys in free agency, but getting actual results from those same guys is a very hit or miss proposition. Ask the Buffalo Sabres how far their big acquisitions of Christian Erhoff, Robyn Regehr, and Ville Leino got them, not to mention overpaying to retain Drew Stafford.

If we go the trade route, what pieces of actual value to other teams were we going to give up to get a first line that is actually available? Sergei, Blum and a pick aren't going to get it done.

I don't think there's much of a mystery to what happened to this team after the Phoenix series. Team chemistry was already clearly severely disrupted, one key player left semi-unexpectedly, another was offered a ridiculous offer sheet, a lockout ensued, no training camp, compressed schedule, injuries aplenty to the few of our players that WERE playing productively, and our franchise goalie having a wildly inconsistent year by his standards.
I agree with everything in this post. For what it's worth, I imagine if you ask Rinne he would try and shoulder a lot of the blame for his terrible shootout performances this year. I love the guy and he's my favorite player, but he has struggled greatly with both shootouts and overall consistency this year. I don't blame him as he's still bailed the team out more times than I can count, and it's not like 80% of the team isn't playing like garbage, but he is capable of better.

To think that someone would sign a 7 year deal and then bail because we essentially lost 1 player (who he couldn't be sure we'd retain when he signed) and under performed/got bit by the injury bug is a bit out there.