View Single Post
Old
04-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
I still don't understand this trade one bit. We made a trade that you typically make when your window is closing. A let's-try-this-one-more-time sort of trade after being bounced a couple times from the playoffs in the previous years.

Suddenly, we are no sure fire bet to even make the playoffs let alone make any serious run. In order for that to happen we should have shored up the D. Make this trade in two or three years after falling short with our prospects and it's a good trade. But a horrible trade to give up so much without first trying to win with what you have.
Agreed.

When you make a trade on deadline day, you are paying the highest prices of the year for an asset. You only do that when you are desperate for an upgrade for that year.

We could easily have traded for Pominville this summer, and probably for a lot cheaper. It seems like Fletcher got desperate and made this move more out of panic than long-term thinking.

It was pretty clear to anyone watching the team they were in a downward spiral and the problem wasn't at right wing but at center and defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Call me crazy, but I think he's a perfect fit for that top line. It was one thing to watch that line for the two road games, but I was impressed watching them in person. Give him some time to adjust. No offense to Coyle, but this is a definite upgrade. When he gets comfortable, watch out.
Is it really an upgrade though? Coyle's only going to get better, Pominville likely has hit his peak and will only decline.

Here's the thing, Pominville looks lost. He's turning the puck over like crazy. His offensive zone play is starting to get better, but in the D zone he's not doing anything for the breakouts and the only time I've seen him carry the puck through the neutral zone was a turnover that led to a goal.

If we're lucky and still make the playoffs, maybe he makes the adjustments in time. But that's a big if.

Again, smacks of desperation. Added a player not in a primary position of need, gave up two big assets in the process, and not necessarily something that helps the team short-term.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote