View Single Post
Old
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
PayItForward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would agree with you that they aren't the best at developing them but they also don't even try to spend high picks on them.

Out of those four guys you listed:
Ryan Suter: 7th overall 2003
Dan Hamuis: 12th overall 2001
Shea Weber: 49th overall 2003
Kimmo Timonen: 250th overall 1993

Kimmo was originally drafted by LA actually and spent 4 years in Finland before coming over to play for Nashville so he was pretty polished by then.

I'm not saying the Flyers don't need to change their approach with developing defensemen because they definitely do but they're selling themselves short when their not taking defensemen higher in the draft.
Oh I fully agree. I wanted them to take a d-man in the 1st round of the draft the past 2 years. I really wanted Hamilton in 2011. I understand why they picked Couturier in 2011 and as I understand it anyway, they wanted Siemens had Couturier not been there. My point was more about Nashville than it was about Philly anyway. Obviously the Flyers need to make more of an effort to draft and develop their own d-men so their defense won't be so expensive yet mediocre, even when healthy (minus Pronger). That being said, I'd still draft BPA if they have a top 10 pick.