View Single Post
Old
04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'd love to see his save percentage when the score is tied. Or in clutch situations in general. He seems to go as the team goes.

I know it's been mentioned on here already, but I'm going to relay the DSF argument on SV%. Basically, a good SV% on a bad team is not the same as a good SV% on a good team. I fought tooth-and-nail as a Dubnyk fan against him on this, but I've come around.

Goalie A is playing more with the lead, facing concerted scoring chances on most shots. Goalie B is playing more with the deficit, and facing less urgent opponents.

Give up an early stinker against a defence-first team, fight all game in vain to tie it up, yet you're still outshot by ten. But only outchanced by a few. Who's the better goalie? Maybe your 5th best SV% goalie on a .400 team isn't so hot after all.

Obviously lacking a 1D or 2D is far more of a causal factor for lack of success, but if Khabibulin retires and our back-up plan is 60th out of 60 in the league (Hi there Danis), any lull that Dubnyk falls into will ruin our playoff chances.

No one's saying "Get rid of Dubnyk", he's still the starter. The team needs help in net, though.
Clutch situations? Every Oilers game is a clutch situation cause they so rarely outplay anyone. How about this one: among starting goalies only Craig Anderson has a better sv% while on the penalty kill than Dubnyk, and he has been injured for too long to even fairly count his. Or is the penalty kill not a pressure situation either? On the PK he has .912 sv%, better than a number of solid starters' overall sv%.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote