View Single Post
04-11-2013, 12:49 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I haven't watched much Whale this season, so what we've been hearing from you, Beacon, and others is very encouraging. You nailed the analysis of him, pre-Connecticut. I watched a ton of McIlrath when he was in Moose Jaw, and he did none of these things well. He had no concept of positional defense, and he was a really poor decision maker in multiple types of situation. He looked like he had very little idea about how to play hockey at a high level. This sounds like a very rapid and remarkable turnaround.

The one thing that is still in the back of my mind, however, is that many of the same things were being said about Kreider his last couple of NCAA seasons. Granted, the AHL and NCAA is a big difference. But once Kreider got here, he wasn't nearly as ready as some thought he would be. I think he still needs a decent amount of time in Hartford before he is a regular member of the Rangers, based on what I've seen this season.

Really hope that McIlrath keeps improving, because the Rangers need to trade Girardi to improve the offense, and McIlrath will make doing that easier. Even if he does turn out as good as advertised, it won't change my mind about that pick. This franchise sorely lacks a Tarasenko-like player in the prospect pool, and that type of talent is more valuable, especially for this team.
In terms of what some thought about Kreider a lot of us here know it was completely unrealistic expectation this early in his career. I don't think he has failed and I think quite a few here understood rationally he should and probably would have to get seasoning in the AHL possibly all season just like MDZ, McD, Hags, etc had to. Both guys (kreider and McI)appear to be developing and filling in what used to be enormous holes and flaws in their games and both should be full time NHLers within 2 seasons. Maybe not next but most would be shocked if they aren't both starting the season after.