View Single Post
04-11-2013, 03:23 AM
vCash: 500
Oilers Offseason Wishlist/Speculation Thread

Thought I'd make a thread for what direction people here think the Oilers should take in the upcoming offseason. Feel free to post your wishlists and proposals in this thread.

For me, personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few things. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible here with these trades.

Free agency: signing Nathan Horton. $4.5x3 would strike me as reasonable for him, might go as high as $5M in this situation. [edit: would go to $5.5Mx3, but term is my walk away point]

If we are able to sign Horton I wouldn't mind moving Hemsky for some D help
Trade: Hemsky for Meszaros. Two eastern European skilled players that have had injury troubles in the past. It could make sense for both teams as both players are impending UFA's after the 2013/14 season. Holmgren has shown he is willing to do 1-for-1 swaps with the JVR/Schenn deal. We desperately need versatile D that can skate and move pucks from the back-end and reduce the time we spend in our own end.

Trade: for Mikhail Grabovski. This guy is being criminally mistreated and misused in Toronto and basically being treated like dog crap. His value is at an all-time low, and you would be buying low on an undervalued asset. We are nowhere near the cap and I think this guy can be a very valuable. In the past two seasons, he is in the top 30 for centremen in points. He's a hard worker, great motor, loves to go to the corners and even wore an A with Ron Wilson, but has fallen extremely out of favor with his new coach. Carlyle treated Lupul like crap in Anaheim and he came to a new city and lit it up. I have a feeling you could have Grabovski for a song right now. I don't know exactly where I'd place his value, but a 2nd + Nick Schultz is a decent ballpark, IMO (we have an extra 2nd). We have the cap space, I'm not too concerned about that and Horcoff will be off the books by the time Yak + Nuge extensions kick in.

Trade: Sam Gagner. I don't really think Gagner is the option going forward at 2C, especially in playoff hockey. If we would be able to get Grabovski I believe he could answer our questions at 2C and thus make Gagner expendable. This could involve Gagner in a sign-and-trade with a contract for around $4.5Mx3. My proposed deal would include sign-and-trading Gagner to Buffalo for Andrej Sekera and prospect Jake McCabe. Sekera is a legitamite top-4 defender with 2 more seasons before UFA at a good number ($2.75M) playing important PK and even-strength minutes for Buffalo and most importantly, he can skate, defend and move the puck. Very underrated. McCabe plays at the University of Wisconsin, a verifiable d-man factory that has produced Justin Schultz, Gardiner and McDonagh as of late. Mike Eaves has this kid on the right track.

Trade for: Mike Weaver. Florida is in a state of rebuilding further than us even, if you can take this guy of their hands for a middling prospect or 5th or 6th round pick to get his services for a year this solidifies our D core. One of the most underrated shutdown d-men in the league would be great on the bottom pair. He has one season remaining at $1.5M, a very low-risk, possibly rewarding acquisition.

Free agency: sign Grant Clitsome. $1.75x2 would probably do the trick for him. To solidify our d-core in the case of injuries and have him there to provide competition for getting in the lineup for the bottom pair. He is a really solid defenseman for the Jets and has been an unheralded and solid d-man for the last 2 seasons. He's shown he has adept skating, can move the puck proficiently and defend well quietly and effectively. Just a really solid d-man this team could probably use, pretty sick of Whitney, Potter and Fistric right now. Again, a low-risk move with upside.

So in a perfect world, my proposed moves would bring in: Horton, Grabovski, Meszaros, Sekera, Weaver, Clitsome, and prospect Jake McCabe. Meanwhile, we would be jettisoning: Hemsky, Gagner, Nick Schultz, and picks outside the 1st round.

Also wouldn't be opposed to bringing in two bottom-six free agent forwards of: Max Lapierre and Raffi Torres. Sticking with the theme, low-risk and possible upside. Two guys that play nasty in the bottom-six and are pain in the ***** to play against and work their tails off to retrieve pucks and forecheck. These guys can actually skate and handle the puck as bottom-sixers unlike our current fourth line. If they don't work out, it's pretty low-risk.

This also allows Hartikainen/Lander to "overripen" in the minors like Detroit makes their prospects do. If they're really ready to push for roster spots, they'll push guys like Smyth or Torres out of the lineup, it's not a huge deal. You can't just hand kids spots in training camp, they have to show they're ready. And there's also inevitable injuries so they will play games. Same philosophy applies for Klefbom, let him ripen in the minors, if there's injuries and you need a call-up, fine he can play a few games, but develop in the AHL first.

It's time for some true asset management and getting this team on the right track with an identity. I think these would be a few good steps to start with.

Again, to everyone else: feel free to critique my proposal and/or post your wishlists or proposals for the off-season in here. This season's done for.

Last edited by puckfan13: 04-11-2013 at 03:59 AM.
puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote