View Single Post
Old
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
So I had a weird experience with Vapors that maybe someone can help me out with. Sorry for the long story.

I am currently skating in x30s that I got when I started playing organized hockey about 3 years ago. I've been playing on them 2-3 times per week, every week, since I started. The fit is great and I've never experienced any pain, except for maybe the first few skates. As you can imagine playing 2-3 times per week year round has taken it's toll on the skates and they are starting to break down. Also my skating has improved since I started so I was thinking I might be able to benefit from a little higher level skate.

In my area the different level of Vapor skates have been on sale since around Christmas. At that time I went to my LHS and talked to a guy about upgrading. I was thinking of going to an x6.0 or 7.0, but he told me that based on my level play that the 5.0 was the next logical step. At that time I decided to hold off until everything went on sale in the spring b/c the 5.0s were not on sale.

Spring comes and the 5.0s are on sale so I go to try on a pair in 9.5 (my current size) and they don't fit at all. They feel way too big. I know they were not baked and that Bauer laces suck, as in you can't get them tight at all, but I was surprised at how big they felt. Even the guy at the LHS was shocked that I came from a 9.5 in x30s and the fit was that different. He said that baking would help, but not enough in his opinion. We even got the measurement tool and I'm a 9.5. Needless to say I didn't get them. They did not have a 9 in store for me to try on but I would be worried to get that even if it felt ok in store b/c according to everything so far including measurements a 9 should be too small.

So after all that here's my question. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Do they just feel that different b/c of the stiffer boot? Is there another company that has a boot similar to the Vapor line that I should be trying on? I looked through the first post and could not really find anything. I guess I could wait and try on the new Vapors in the spring to see how they feel.

On a side note was anyone else terrified to get new skates? I really like how mine feel, but I know they have to be replaced soon. I feel like I'm going to look like a noob out there in these new skates, haha.