View Single Post
Old
04-11-2013, 11:59 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Heh, you caught me before I edited. I think that Brodeur and Luongo were definitely close, but Brodeur was a little better when you consider just how bad the team he had playing in front of him was. 2006-07 is the biggest reason why I shake my head when I see people rating Brian Rafalski as an all-time great.
Not to put more flames on the fire, but Luongo had the better even-strength save percentage and the better save percentage when facing the opposition's powerplay. The difference is that he did the latter so much more often than Brodeur that Brodeur's overall save percentage came out ahead. Don't get me wrong: Luongo had better defensemen, but his team put him in more disadvantageous situations to the point that the team argument doesn't hold enough weight to make it more than a coin-flip choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
2003 and 2004 were his questionable Vezinas, but both have an easy explanation even if you don't agree with them.

2003: Turco didn't play enough games
2004: Kiprusoff didn't play enough games, Luongo's team wasn't even close to making the playoffs
I mean, I understand why he got them (and I don't disagree too much with 2008, but I thought Leclaire was the best in the league until his team turned into sellers at the deadline despite the playoffs being within reach), but it's the way they're used in arguments that makes me think the "overrated" word. I mean, I really like Corey Perry and all, but even I know he wasn't the best player in 2011 - Sidney Crosby was. Likewise, I know Turco was the best goalie in 2003, I know Pronger was the best defenseman in 2001 and 2007, I know Lemieux was the best player in 2001, etc.

Everyone who gets an award certainly deserves it on some level, otherwise no one would have recognized their season for any reason. But I'm also not going to pretend to NOT know why they have it when the binary difference between winning/not-winning the award is thrown in my face as an argument for why they're better than, say, Dominik Hasek or Eddie Shore. And that's really what the last overrated thread was about at the end.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote