Thread: Player Discussion: Brian Boyle
View Single Post
Old
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Dilettante

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I conclude 2 things. The Rangers PP was horrendous before the trade, and you just dont like Brian Boyle.

You can cherrypick similar stats to every Rangers players regarding the PP - ya know why? Because it stunk.

Its looked better lately with Boyle on it, so Im not ready to mess with it yet. Maybe thats because the mere mention of Boyle's name doesnt make me go crazy.
You can't have it both ways. If the addition of Boyle to the powerplay earlier in the year didn't make much of a difference, why would it make a difference now? It's not like he's personally doing anything different, his role earlier in the year was to stand in front of the goalie too. So if the Rangers PP stunk before the trade, now is better after the trade, isn't it easier to make the case that the addition of Brassard and Clowe has been more important?

Now I don't mind that much that Boyle is on the powerplay. If his role is to dig the puck out of the corners, get it the point, then park himself in front of the goalie, that's perfectly fine, especially for the second PP unit. It's all a moot point though if they keep struggling to maintain puck possession and get shots through traffic.