Old
04-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
Context, context, context.

Devils do a very good job of limiting shots overall. We have a system in place with forwards that are good at keeping the puck in the other teams end. We also have mostly hard working back-checkers and are good at keeping the opponent to the outside in the defensive end.

But we do have a pretty mediocre group of defenseman. Blown assignments, weak net-front presence, mind-boggling turn overs right in front of the net. Which, I would guess, leads to a higher ratio of scoring chances to shots. Not saying we necessarily give up more scoring chances/game than most teams, it's probably roughly even. But we do give up less shots than most teams, which would lead to a higher ratio.

But, as we all know, all shots are created equal and have an equal percentage chance of being stopped.
Why do you keep uttering the last comment? No one ever said that. Obviously shots closer to the net have a higher chance of going in.

I don't believe we give up a super high ratio of scoring chances to shots. Maybe a bit higher than other teams, but not by much.

All the evidence points to shot quality being a small factor in determining good and bad teams. The best shooting team in the NHL over the last six years, the Pittsburgh Penguins, only had a 1.1% better even strength shooting percentage than the median. For a team that averages 29 shots per game, that's 26 goals over a full season, or close to one goal every three games. That obviously means something, but that's the best shooting team in the NHL. The vast majority of teams are only plus or minus five to ten goals because of their shooting skill.

Shot quality exists, but it isn't nearly as influential as most of you like to think.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote