View Single Post
Old
08-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Catch-22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Agree, you need some kind of defensive minded forward, maybe Plekanec or even Johnson?
Anybody who can play well on the boards and who can also backcheck would be fine. Plekanec comes to mind because he's also got great offensive potential (IMO, better than the scouting reports suggest). I've argued this ad nauseum but many fans, I think, are thoroughly distracted by the offensive potential of Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev. I think it's a mistake to think like that and I have also wondered openly whether Samsonov and Kovalev would clash because they both like to hang onto the puck in the offensive zone. Kovalev has always needed (and always lacked) an adequate supporting cast. The poor guy had to play with Bulis and Ribeiro last season, 3rd line and AHL calibre players respectively. He does not need someone to compete with him for the puck. It's more difficult to predict that last part, which is chemistry, but I don't think it's hard to predict poor two-way play. Without having watched any of training camp yet, my preliminary lines would be something like:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Johnson
Murray-Bonk-Begin

But I do not want to waste another year of Kovalev’s $4 million contract by putting him with Ribeiro.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote