View Single Post
Old
04-11-2013, 02:53 PM
3 Minute Minor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethegame54321 View Post
I read back some of the quotes. If he is small and could play, great. However, you cannot have more than 2 of those players or you will die in the post season.
Why? Rouyn-Noranda and Blainville are the 2 shortest teams in the QMJHL and are both in the Semi-finals http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...eid=68&sort=ht

Are you suggesting J-S Dea, Max St-Cyr, Steve Mercier, Felix Caron, Mathieu Brisebois, Danick Martel, Sammy Hodhod, Tommy Giroux, Elie Berube, Darcy Ashley, Fred Gamelin, Alex Ranger are all chop liver? There's probably plenty other examples out there of short guys on these teams.

It's also like your suggesting that there's +6'0" players sitting around right now not in the Q that are just as good, if not better then all the guys I listed above + dozens of other 5'9" and under guys around the league.

Quote:
If you are big and could skate with skill, much better. You want as many as you can on your team. The more you have, the more you will win. Are they rare?, yes and no. Big is six feet and up. There are many at six feet with hands and who could fly. Some are six feet, average on offence but excellent defensive forwards who can also fly.
Again it's like your suggesting there's a bunch of these 6'0" guys who could come in replace 50% of the league. Doesn't work like that.

Quote:
The problem with litttle guys is if they are not excellent skaters, they are not very useful in other situations. Noel is not that small but Bouchard is way too small, he will never be an impact player.
I've mentioned Conor Garland before. He's like 5'6" and if you see him in a QMJHL game that looks generous but he does a lot more then skating. He's a surprisingly physical little runt. (And No, I'm not from New Brunswick or a Wildcats fan, he's just a little guy who caught my attention a lot this year)

Quote:
Do you guys know who frederic Gamelin is?.....He was a superstar in midget, bouchard's size, he is now and will always be an average player.

Hope this clears things up for all of you, especially ADAM AND ALL GOOD
Average player where? Gamelin makes an impact in QMJHL games. Does he look like a 5th overall pick? No. But that draft was pretty meh. And if you notice, Charles Hudon was drafted 6th overall, right after him. Are you saying he doesn't make an impact?

Quote:
True, but you have to bew careful with that sometimes. The little guy will sometimes seem fast because of the shorter strides and quicker twitch movements. In a race to the puck the six foot fast guy will always win, or should I say most of the time. The Nhl is a perfect example.
No comment, just goes back to you suggesting there's 6'0" guys at the Q's disposal somewhere.

Quote:
It is the Q's responsibility to draft players that they can help get to the next level. The problem over the years is that they drafted too many small players which made Q players graduating to the NHL a smaller number than the other 2 junior leagues. That is where the Q failed. Now , it is starting to change but they cannot revert back to the small player. They have to be careful.
So let me get this straight. You believe it's the responsibility of the teams in the Q to draft a 6'0" player who isn't as capable as a 5'9" player (and under) and try to develop that 6'0" player so he goes to the NHL someday? I'd say most QMJHL teams are drafting with the idea of "How will this kid make us better" or in the case of some teams "Will this kid report to camp." They don't draft based off NHL potential, after the kid leaves the Q he's no longer their responsibility so they're taking the player who they feel is the best available to them and they see a future with. Whether he's 5'7" or 6'5" is irrelevant to probably 95% of GM's across the entire CHL.

Quote:
I think all good was trying to say this but let his emotions get in the way. And I believe Adam and the others were not grasping the idea that I believe I just worded in a better fashion.
I fully understood the anti-5'9" tirade I also think you're all good on a second account which is pretty hilarious.

Quote:
Anyone who would disagree with my logic in this post may be a little out of touch with what scouts are or should be looking for in a player. q scouts can draft just for junior but then they are failing the system that the ohl and whl were able to help by drafting responsibly. It is time for the Q teams and scouts to draft responsibly.

Would be curious to hear from and actual scout and not just someone with the word scout in his code name
I think you're the one out of touch here, and you're definitely in no way qualified to tell scouts in the Q that they should change their ways. I think everyone would agree with the logic that it's nicer to have a player with size & skill, but you keep suggesting that there's a ton of 6'0" talent lying around untapped and magically going completely unnoticed.

Also would like to bring up Claude Giroux just for lol's. He was passed in the OHL draft his first go around because he was 5'4". He ended up requesting to get passed his second go around so he could sign with a QMJHL team that approached him. He went there and now look where he is. Passing on a short player with more skill then the slightly taller 16 year old is a bad idea when growth spurts are still completely possible.