View Single Post
Old
04-11-2013, 06:41 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
You might want to double check that. You don't gain ground when things happen to the team in 8th. It takes the 9th seed to lose. And right now that would be Dallas in control of that spot. They have 9 games remaining with 41 points so they could get 18 more or a total of 59. So Dallas has to lose in any manor for that to happen right now.
I got it from the NHL itself -- I was a little skeptical, but it works out. The reason is that right now, Detroit has the 8th-highest max points total at 61, and if they lose in regulation, they fall into a tie for 8th in max points with Dallas at 59 each.

The reason that would clinch a spot for Anaheim, despite the Ducks not having the ROW tiebreaker clinched over either Detroit or Dallas, is that the Stars and Red Wings have a head-to-head game remaining against each other -- meaning at least ONE of those teams will lose at least one point off their max, bringing the highest 9th-place max down to effectively 58 points.... clinching the playoff spot for Anaheim.

Trust me, it's a regulation win by San Jose tonight that is the only Ducks-clinching scenario before tomorrow night.