View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
SA16
Two by two...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
I mean between seasons. How many player, have we got left in our bottom 6 since two seasons ago? Or one season ago? Even if you include players we traded away this season, the answer is still Brian Boyle. Hagelin occasionally. Why? Because he's doing a solid job at a reasonable price (slightly high). Simple as that. If replacing him was that simple, how come we traded away/waived/sent down Rupp, Halpern, Ferreiro, Haley, Fedotenko, Mitchell, Prust etc...either not good enough or because they wanted too much money..

Kreider and Miller wasn't given the opportunity? They where given all the time in the world, yet they did not produce. Should we put Kreider with Nash and Stepan for him to produce and contribute? If that what it takes to get Kreider going he has no business in the NHL. And while Boyle doesn't provide point wise, he isn't a defensive liability.

My point is; it's not as simple as just replace through free agency.
For all of the guys you mentioned either their contracts ran out, they were on 2-way deals, or were completely ineffective and gotten rid of (Rupp..halpern though I don't think he was so bad). Boyle had a fluky 20 goal year and was resigned to a 3 year deal which is why he is here. Boyle isn't an ineffective player. He's good in his role. Just when you try and put him in other roles at all comes crashing now (ex. having him listed with clowe and richards for tomorrows game. Now I doubt that line will stay together but if we imagine it does ans is a 2nd line thas an absurd misuse of his abilities. He';s supposed to be a good defensive player - playing him with richards is going to simulatenously hurt that lines offense and cause us to lack a defensive presence we can use later.