View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Hawks82

vCash: 500
I'm a first time skater/skate buyer. I'm looking to start learning how to skate in a few weeks. Instead of paying $10 for skate rental at the rink, I decided to buy my own pair.

I purchased the Bauer Vapor x40 from Icewarehouse.com. They look like a real nice beginner skate at a good price. Being a first timer, I'm worried about getting a proper fit.

I wear between a 9.5-10 in street shoes and I went to Dick's Sporting Goods the other night with a friend of mine to try some skates on. They didn't have any Bauer's so I tried a pair of Easton EQ50's on. The size 9 seemed to fit pretty well. That's the size I went with. My friend who's similar in foot size tried a pair of Vapor x20 in an 8 the day before and described them as being way too snug. Sadly, they weren't there when I went.

I've been contemplating getting into an 8.5R and just working from there, the only problem is the x40's don't come in half sizes. The x50's do and they'd only cost me $35 more than the x40's.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any such thing as a "bad" skate for someone to learn how to skate on? Would the x50 be "too much" skate for a beginner?
2. Does baking a skate eliminate excess room in the toes?

Appreciate any advice...