View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
With regards to the original post (obviously this has been bumped) and the recent conversation about wing & center: At the time he was drafted, it seemed he could be equally destined to play wing or center, ideally on the 3rd line but possibly on a 2nd line (as a winger).

The addition of Larsson adds another guy who projects as both C/W on the 3rd line, along with Zemgus and Catenacci (along with other wingers as well as unforeseen additions). It's really impossible to say who would be better suited for playing center but I'd say if those players were actually playing together on a line then it wouldn't matter much, anyhow. Larsson and Z seem to have a similar (proportional) amount of experience at both positions at this stage of their careers, and Cat seems like he'd take well to the wing.

I remember there was some debate with people being upset he wasn't starting out as a center in Rochester, as they felt it might hamper his development as a center. Understandable, but I didn't and still don't agree. I felt this way at the time but even moreso now: we now have many young centermen in the organization. They're going to have to take playing time where they can get it. It's unlikely that a prospect's ability to play center will be hurt much (if at all) by getting the bulk of his pro development time at wing for a while. On top of that, it's even more clear now that all of our top center prospects/young guns will not all be able to play center at the same time: Hodgson/Grigorenko/Ennis as scoring line centers, Zemgus/Larsson/(Cat.. if you put him in with this level of prospect), as "middle six"-calibre guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton02 View Post
I see Zemgus' ceiling as Michael Peca. Floor, Pat Kaleta
I don't buy his floor as Kaleta. I'm not saying he'll even make it in the NHL -- maybe he'll get derailed by injuries -- but if he does, then his floor should be that of a different and at least slightly better player. He has far better offensive tools and will probably be a better defensive player when he enters the league than Pat was (Kaleta really grew into being a very solid defensive player).

Last edited by Paxon: 04-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote