View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 05:45 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Nonsense. The neighbourhood I live in is not urban sprawl, neither are the ones closer to downtown from me, neither are the ones immediately south. These are long time, well established older neighbourhoods in which the lifecycle of the roads and sidewalks are well well past due date. You also have to take a close look at the type of people you are trying to get to live downtown. Condos are not for everyone, the neighbourhoods surrounding that core are not for everyone. Try and encourage down town development? Sure go for it. Use infra money on new capital projects rather than what it is mostly meant for? No, bad idea.
Big Unit is correct. As you build a city out with low densities, it does cost more for all of those services and infrastructure. You reduce these costs by building up instead of out. He didn't say you can't build out, but you achieve economies by increasing densities. Condos are not for everyone, agreed, but how can you argue that building higher densities doesn't reduce these costs? You can also increase densities in established neighbourhoods with higher-density buildings. One I see is on the NE corner of...what is it, Stony Plain Road and 142 St. (if that's the street). A tower is going there, on the edge of Glenora. That's how you build sustainable cities.