View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Big Unit is correct. As you build a city out with low densities, it does cost more for all of those services and infrastructure. You reduce these costs by building up instead of out. He didn't say you can't build out, but you achieve economies by increasing densities. Condos are not for everyone, agreed, but how can you argue that building higher densities doesn't reduce these costs? You can also increase densities in established neighbourhoods with higher-density buildings. One I see is on the NE corner of...what is it, Stony Plain Road and 142 St. (if that's the street). A tower is going there, on the edge of Glenora. That's how you build sustainable cities.
One of the biggest problems with Edmonton, just want to keep sprawling. They want to annex part of the County of Leduc. I recall a while back someone wanted to build a couple of high towers, 20 storeys+, at the old Heritage mall site. But there was so much push back from the locals, mainly because they didn't want building that high net door to them. They ended up with buildings about half the size they originally wanted. A condo complex in Edmonton is lucky to be 4 storeys high. Edmonton is the worse city in Canada for sprawling as the attitude is that there is nothing but land, might as well use it.

I am guilty as I want to live in a big house with a double or triple garage and large yard.