View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 09:10 PM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Cobra, Seth Jones would have a 3.5 cap hit next year. If we didn't factor for it we could get an overage charge if he hit his performance bonuses. We won't sign more than one free agent, if that, imo.
I mentioned that... Since there is a cushion there it could be managed, especially if we moved one of O'Brien or Hunwick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Seth Jones's salary would look higher with a 3.5-3.7M cap hit but it would fall into the bonus cushion, Landeskog's actual cap hit is 925,000. By the 2014-15 season the cap should be back up to 70M and we could either trade D. Jones or use our second compliance buyout on him. So they could give him a chance to turn it around next season, unless someone actually wanted him this off-season in a trade.

If we needed a bit more space during next season one of Hunwick or O'Brien could be moved at that time or during this off-season as well.

I'd love to see us be this active in free-agency, but I have my doubts just like everyone else. Adding two recent Stanley Cup champions, and another veteran in Streit could do a lot for the locker room environment as well as the actual on ice product.
I also mentioned that I was skeptical they would be that aggressive in free-agency, and was just attempting to prove it's possible without sacrificing our ability to give our core players their raises. I do think it would benefit the team to have a couple Stanley Cup veterans added to the roster though. Unfortunately I don't have very much faith that they will see the value in bringing in veterans who have won in the playoffs recently, especially at the cost of being a cap team now instead of a year or two from now. It's just what I would do considering the continued up and down play of our team and how much of an impact one veteran speaking up had on the teams play as a whole.

Horton & Scuderi are established winners, and could help keep the teams up and down swings to a minimum when combined with Jiggy's voice in the locker room. Just a guess but I would bet Streit would have a good impact on EJ and the rest of our puck movers as well. So we seem to agree a bit, but I'd like to see more done.

It also proves that Stastny at his current cap hit isn't really hurting our future. Now if Stastny stays at 6.6M and O'Reilly jumps to 6.5M... Then I'd say we don't have much choice but to move one of them.

However the Avs can find that out by at least attempting to negotiate extensions for all three centers during this off-season.

(Edit: Scuderi could have a similar impact to Foote in that, maybe he wouldn't play 25 minutes a night but has two Stanley cups (Pitt, LA) is still a solid shutdown guy, and is known to be fairly vocal in the dressing room and with the media.)

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.
CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote