View Single Post
Old
04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
ElKingsFan92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
There are morons in Southern California that would say something similar about the Kings and Ducks - that all that matter is the Lakers or Dodgers.

The popularity of Ohio State football is incredible in Columbus. The only thing in SoCal that might be comparable is the Lakers in the playoffs.

The Jackets obviously don't have that type of popularity. They get ignored in Columbus by some.

I flew in to Columbus last summer to attend a funeral in the Dayton area and stopped at a sporting good store on the way there, hoping to pick up some Jackets and Buckeye t-shirts, and there was barely anything Jackets related at all. Most all OSU stuff and a small amount of Reds merchandise.

When the Jackets start winning more consistently, they'll get more recognition within Columbus. But that doesn't mean there aren't fans. Attendance was considerably higher the first five seasons. The support was there in the beginning, fans just got tired of paying to see the team lose.

I was surprised by how little attention the Kings got winning the Stanley Cup in SoCal. And the local news has to cover Kobe stubbing his toe over the Kings, just like some people in Columbus care more about what Braxton Miller had for breakfast than what the Jackets are doing.

It's insane. The local media's constant fellating of the Lakers has actually helped in souring my overall distaste with the NBA (the on-court product helps that too). The only thing I ask is for a little respect and recognition. I guess that's too much to ask.

ElKingsFan92 is online now   Reply With Quote