View Single Post
Old
04-13-2013, 12:25 AM
Steeltown Jacket
FanFromPensTerritory

vCash: 500
I was born and raised in Youngstown, so I was exposed to the Penguins from the time I was born. I experienced their "glory" years in the early 90s with Mario. I watched but never was a fan. Never received any CBJ games on TV due to dumb TV blackout rules; still don't to this day in Youngstown.

I moved to Columbus in 2004 to attend OSU and I've been here ever since. When I saw my first CBJ game on TV in 2005 or early 2006, I felt attached. Hard to explain, but I felt an immediate attraction to the franchise. Way more than I ever felt with the Pens.

If the CBJ had been perennial playoff contenders since the inception, I feel this would be a different story. But alas, it is what it is. As a HUGE fan of both OSU and the CBJ, I feel myself "siding" with the CBJ in terms of amount of media coverage. Everywhere you turn, look, or read, OSU football or basketball is in your face about the previous opponent or the next game. With the CBJ, there are limited resources devoted to covering hockey in our great city. I guess with the overload of OSU coverage, I always find myself trying to read as much as I can about the Blue Jackets, which is always hard to do.

Overall, I guess the "average" fan in Columbus is a diehard OSU fan and casual CBJ fan by default (aka waiting for more to come). The 2 can definitely co-exist, which is proven by many on this board. In terms of "competition", I go to more CBJ games than OSU basketball games in the winter. Actually, if my financial situation steadies the course, I will be investing in CBJ season tickets; which is a no-brainer decision for me "if" I has to chose between the CBJ and OSU.

Sorry for the long rant yins.

Steeltown Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote