View Single Post
Old
04-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 435
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Go play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series which started about a half year before the Bioshock series.

Also, even though I haven't played it yet, it's to my understanding that System Shock 2 was pretty much the one that really started it all as far as atmospheres go. I'm still waiting for them to release it on Steam. I'm aware it's available on GOG but Steam is just so much easier.
Yeah, I've played them both and you're right their atmosphere is great. Bioshock is synonymous with atmosphere though. It doesn't matter so much as who did it first, or even who did it best, but what name is evoked by all when atmosphere is brought up, and I can't think of many media outlets or general gamers coming up with a more popular answer than Bioshock. Stalker would easily be in the top 5 or so, but I am not sure it was as popular. It is like voting for rankings on HFBoards, the best answer is often not the right one

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter