View Single Post
Old
04-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Flyers2point0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. IDK about that. Most of the time I would probably agree you go BPA. But the Flyers have exactly zero prospects that are likely to be a top four defender. Ghost has a shot, but I wouldn't call it likely. If the BPA is a center not named MacKinnon or a wing not named Drouin, I think you go with a Defender over pretty much anyone else in the top ten this year, regardless of BPA. If the BPA is Barkov or Lindholm (or Nichuskin) I think the Flyers would still go with Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock, or Ristolainen. I personally think Barkov and Lindholm are higher ceiling guys than the aforementioned defenders. But the Flyers have no need for a high ceiling center. They have 73 of them. Going BPA is normally the way to go, but not this year with this team.

The Flyers desperately need defensive prospects. Everyone talks about patience and asset management and how poor the Flyers are with those two things. Well taking a "lesser" defenseman instead of the BPA is not bad asset management and is also a sign of patience. Bad asset management and lack of patience would be drafting a Center when you have a glut of centers, then likely trading him or moving him to wing and hoping he fits in. They have to go defense in the first round unless they pick in the top three and Jones is gone.
I agree, and I don't think the way to address our issues on D is through a trade. The market for d men is ridiculous and we'd have to overpay and give up more than just a top prospect. If we draft another center in the first I really don't see how we're going to improve our D without giving up at least two quality prospects and/or high picks that we need. Especially with where we are this year and who is available. While some of the forwards may have a higher upside than some of the d men you mentioned, I don't think the gap is huge.