Old
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
No reason to trade Huet for a 2nd round pick. You keep there and don't throw Price to the wolves... It's true Price won 24 games and got that save % but everyone (and I hope Gainey knew that of all people) that the playoffs are different animal. Price had a .901 save % that year in the playoffs...simply not good enough

Funny you mention that season but don't mention how he only got a .905 and then .912 save percentage in the next 2 seasons and .878 and .890 in the playoffs. Then Price bounces back and plays well again...

For me, Price is a solid goalie but he's not the franchise player he was suppose to be and he's not a top 5 goalie by any stretch of the imagination. He is now overpaid by 2 M $ and we will have to deal with this.

With him being drafted 5th overall, being shoved down our throats as the next big thing ... handed starting positions ... given 6.5 M $ per year ... I'm a little down..because to tell you the truth, no matter how I look at it, he's just simply not better than a lot of goalies out there. He's "good" but not "great"
Then you're going to have to accept the notion that you are simply not good at understanding what makes one goalie better than another. One day you'll realize why Price is so exceptional (size, puckhandling, rebound control, fundamentals, extremely good lateral movement for a big goaltender). You'll also realize that he is still young and has a few years to go before most goalies reach their prime.

Secondly, trading Huet for a 2nd round pick was one of the better moves Gainey made. Huet was going to leave with Price going to take his job. Gainey had an opportunity to get something back for his investment in Huet.. too bad he pissed it away later.