View Single Post
Old
12-29-2003, 10:32 AM
kazo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Not really. At least with Rhueme, we are getting defensive play and backchecking. Can't say that about Hlavac.
As for not enough talent, that is not really accurate. We DO have talent. Plenty of it. But it is not the type of players we need. We have entirely too many players more concerned with padding stats than with any hard work. Right now, our defense has 3 players who are playing well and actuall try to pay attention to defense. They are Leetch, Kasper, & de Vries. Yes, Leetchie gets caught out of position, but he hustles, and is not afraid of giving up the body and plays well defensively for the most part.
Pascal Rheaume is a redundant piece of the puzzle. How many faceoff men and defensive forwards can you have? If you're going to have him on the team, get rid of Ortmyer and Lacouture.

As far as talent is concerned, when do we get to the point when we say NYR talent is overrated? After how many years of watching the same kinds of things happen game in and game out and year in and year out? When I talk about talent I'm talking at least as much about intangibles as about physical ability.

I disagree on Leetch and Kasper. Neither one, as far as I can see plays any kind of tough D in front of the net. Kasper may play tough elsewhere but not there. Leetch still has it offensively but he is nowhere near the player he used to be defensively.

I watched the Toronto feed Friday nite and I'm not a big fan of their broadcasts but Glen Healy nailed it on the head when he said the Ranger play in front of their net was embarrasingly pitiful throughout the four games between the two teams.