View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 01:58 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He's going to be 36 on July 1...he is not a $7 million player anymore. If Iginla asks for more than $5 million a year he's gone.
Agreed, and I don't think he will. He'll take less to play here. He's not going to jump to Boston just because they're offering him $300-$500k more. He wanted to come here, and he's started to lay down his roots and move his family, and already expressed his preference to stay. We've got the 2 best players in the world and one of the top-3 or 4 Dmen in the league. Our core is young and we'll be contenders for the rest of Iginla's career. There aren't more than 2 or 3 other teams you can say that about, and many of the other great teams are as close to the cap as we are (or closer, in some cases). Also, remember: Canadian teams, such as Vancouver, etc., would have to pay Iginla much more than we would have to net the same amount he would make here because of higher income taxes.

There's really only 2 to 4 other teams Jarome would consider, and he chose us already. I don't think he'll chase the money. He can still make extra millions of $$ per year doing ads in Canada (like with Scotia Bank) because of how big a figure he is in hockey in Canada. $$ is not an issue for this guy. Passion, inspiration and winning is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Your numbers for Iginla and Dupuis are overly optimistic. Dupuis is tied for 6th in league goal-scoring while providing elite defense, and why people think Iginla would take almost a million dollars less than Doan, I'll never know.
You can add an extra $500k to Dupers salary (in my example) by finding a replacement for Glass at have of Tanner's salary. Also, Cooke may actually take a pay cut if we offered him a 3 year term, and I think we can get Dupers actual annual salary and cap hit down by offering him longer term (I would go to 4 years easily on Dupers to do this, by which time the cap should be back up anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think we'd be stupid to let Iggy go if he wanted to stay for Doan money. He's better than Doan, we need everything he brings (grit, skill, RH shot, vet savvy), and we can easily afford him with a couple roster moves.
Doan is not a good comparable. This guy was EVERYTHING to that franchise (Iginla isn't even close to Crosby/Malkin/Letang in PIT or anywhere else that he'd actually be willing to play for/is a contender). Doan was signing with a team that had a 50/50 chance of being relocated, and had virtually ZERO chance of winning a Cup. Doan didn't want to move his family; Iginla has already started to move his family, from what I understand. You have to over-pay players to get them to stay on poor teams, and that's what happened with Doan. (Mikko Koivu, when he re-signed with the Wild a few years ago when they sucked, was another great example of a guy who was overpaid at the time.) Apples and Oranges, IMO.