View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 01:16 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfr View Post
Great right up on Maata jmelm, Very happy to hear he is exceeding expectations.

I also agree with your lineup and would love to see it, but my one concern is Dumo. Does he step in next season into the pro lineup? As much as I know next season will be the point Orpik must move on, I dont feel comfortable handing the reigns over to Dumo just yet. Would be nice to give him at least half a season to merge into it, and I supposed we could put Engo or Eaton in that slot until Dumo takes control

Makes you wonder though if Samuelsson could take the next step and be that guy with the great turnaround season he has had
Thanks. I couldn't be any happier (while still being realistic) about how Maatta is looking in his development right now.

Regarding the others: I don't think there's a snowballs chance that Samuelsson can make the jump next year. Perhaps the year after, but he needs that 3rd year.

Dumoulin may not be perfectly ready, but he should be seasoned enough to start. We'll have to trim some salary fat somewhere, and whether Dumo plays on the 2nd or 3rd pair is up to him, but he shouldn't look out of place. He's a top-pairing guy in WBS and a lot of scouts thought he was NHL ready before this season, so I don't think it's unreasonable; and in my example, we'd still have Engelland and Eaton as #7/8 to push Dumo and replace him for some games if he deserves to be scratched. Harrington would be another candidate for that spot, but I think it's Dumo's to lose, quite honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFN View Post
What do you guys think of Harrison Roupp? Did a story on top intimidating D prospects and he made the top 5. Do you think he has an NHL future with the Pens? Could he be an eventual Orpik replacement with his style or would you prefer to just go with the more highly touted guys?
I see Ruopp as a guy who has a chance to have a future as a legit bottom pairing Dman and not just an enforcer, very much in the mold of how Engelland has been for us the past 2 seasons. I do, however, think he'll need a full 3 years to hone his game in the AHL. I suppose it's still possible that he could someday turn into a top-3/4 minute guy like Brooks and play on the top "shutdown pairing", but it's probably more realistic to see him as that 3rd pairing guy who's tough to play against and keep opponents honest. Either way, he appears to be part of our future if he works hard and develops well, because he has a skill-set that none of our other D prospects have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Per CBC Hotstove
Pens in on Laganiere (commentator listed about 6-8 teams)
Per Friedman, Shero has confirmed Pens are pursuing Hartzell (a couple other teams in the mix)
I'd definitely like to see us add another goaltender behind Zatkoff (especially since he's a UFA, right?) who is more NHL-ready than Murray & Maguire.

More importantly, I hope that the Pens have some plans to bring in some forward prospects via the UFA route, because we've given up so many picks, missing out on guys like Brunner and others, and are thin on the wing organizationally. We need a plan for this going forward. Can't comment on this player specifically and how well he could project at the NHL level because I haven't seen him play, but he's definitely more of a B-level prospect. But still, we've got to acquire some young talent on the wings (which could still be possible by moving out guys like Orpik + Kennedy this summer, and possibly a Martin/Niskanen a little further down the line)